Tuesday 9 February 2016

Evolving expectations

The mood this morning was of a positive and expanding new dawn. Grab hold and make a difference. But there was also a countervailing mood of 'can't be bothered'.

But what would I be bothered about? What matters? What is my, our, the purpose? Is it acceptable that I should be comfortable without answers to those questions? Who decides and on what grounds?

We humans swim in a restless ocean of cultural expectations. They evolved to ensure that we cooperate with others to meet our basic needs and thus be well conditioned for mating and child rearing.

The expectations vary (a) with the five life stages - new born, child, adolescent, mature, elderly, (b) with the culture specific pattern of hierarchy and division of labour, and (c) with the economic system - foraging, settled agriculture, city states, empires.

I am now a retired elder with no wife or children. But I have a pension, a supermarket just along the street, and a gaggle of friends scattered around the planet. In my early mature years I aspired to make the world a better place by, amongst other things, making myself a better person. In my elderly state the expectations look the same but the worldviews have shifted. The words now point to different realities, and they are channeled through three main disciplines – neuroscience, psychology (positive, social, cognitive and evolutionary) and mindfulness meditation.

We are hard wired to absorb and be guided by the worldviews (paradigms) of our natal culture. We use confirmation bias to keep on track. But there is neuroplasticity. It is never too late to change your mind. Being mindful is the key. Earlier 'I' noticed the thought of a new dawn and of feeling that 'I' can't be bothered.

'I''I' – there are evolving expectations for the elderly.

No comments:

Post a Comment