Thursday 19 July 2018

Be aware of practice

I have a large collection of books about mindfulness. I have returned to most of them many times and marked the margins at quotable bits. Mindfulness is my PRACTICE. It is what stands between unsettled anxiety and self-less peace.

Left to its own devices my mind flitters about like a dry leaf on a windy day. Or perhaps like a dog, horse or elephant before they have been trained to behave in an ‘acceptable’ way.

The essence of the mindfulness PRACTICE is to be AWARE of what is going on in my mind from one thought moment to another. Once I notice I can let go. One of the first things that I came to know was that thoughts are linked to feelings and to moods.(TFM)

One of my main practices is to JUST SIT and to count my breaths, or, to be aware of passing TSM, or to, drop off body and mind.

There are still wafts of unsettled anxiety (due to TFM) but I know that they are mind made and that they disappear when the light of awareness is shone upon them.

“Sitting quietly doing nothing
Spring comes
And the grass  grow by itself”


No comments:

Post a Comment