Friday 1 December 2017

Intentional living



This morning I became aware of a stream of intentions which emerged from the unconscious, hung around for a while, and then disappeared.

One particular stream caught my attention:

  • By peoples’ intentions, words and actions shall ye know them·        
  • Intentions are linked to thoughts, feelings and moods and are expressed in words (spoken or written) and actions
  • My intentions interact more or less peacefully with those of others – individuals and groups


The logic of that thought train suggested the following matrix


Conscious
Unconscious
Self
1
2
Other individual
3
4
Group
5
6

1.       Only a small number of intentions (4?) are presented to my self conscious at any moment in time - and these tend to be simplified.
2.       The unconscious is continuously active in rejigging my world view
3.       As a human I assume that other individuals think in more of less the same way as me – especially those in the same group (Think ‘us’ and nepotism)
4.       I tend to be blind to the unconscious aspects of other people – especially those in other groups (Think ‘them’ and genocide)
5.       There is them and us at various levels – family, community, nation (Think propaganda)
6.       I have to beware of parochiality and xenophobia - we are all citizens of planet earth

Recent advances in neurology show that there are Neural Correlates of Consciousness (NCC) which means that mind and brain can influence each other. And, because of neural plasticity, the structures and functions can change well into old age.

SO – 


  • My mind and brain can be changed through appreciation of the immensity of time, space and stardust.
  • This leads to a realization of ‘no boundary’ and thus of the Oneness which is everything.
  • And the key is to bear mindful witness to what is happening in the present moment. And this involves paying attention to my pattern of intentional living.


No comments:

Post a Comment