Friday 16 September 2016

memory workaround



I have very specific memory problems. The Doctor ran me through a set of tests and I did well in all but one which was a complete failure. It involved repeating a list of five random words.

Thoughts, feelings and moods (TFM) are linked in the brain. They have been a long time in evolving. They were not planned in advance by a purposive committee. There will be evolved pathways and hubs - some hard wired and some rooted in experience

We survive in the present and make plans for the future based on experiences in the past. So a good memory is useful for understanding ‘reality’ which may have been positive, negative or neutral. As humans it is useful to have a negativity bias but not too much. But there is the option by taking thought to accentuate the positive by savouring it more often and for longer.

But I presently have to deal with poor memory while working through the user’s manuals for several bits of technology. I read the instructions on screen but then come out of the manual to take action and cannot remember what to do. There is the possibility of printing the manual but that is wasteful. I could make written notes but my handwriting is illegible. It is not always possible to cut and paste but the snipping tool can overcome that. And that is my workaround at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment