Sunday 6 September 2015

Cognitive scope

I could work on topic xxx but there is probably somebody or some group that has already thought about it or done it. So, if I was to be rational and systematic, I would approach the existing literature and the main shakers and movers and list the main claims, concerns and issues of the various stakeholders.

I could then draw on my experience as a curriculum developer to sketch out the topic's cognitive scope (what breadth and depth), sequence (where to begin, progress and end) and pace (how quickly to move through the material).

I could, along the way, refer to a set of frameworks that help to avoid parochiality – for example:

Expanding horizons: (think Cosmic zoom) ie Portsoy, Aberdeenshire, Scotland, UK, EU, global, planetary (ref Ken Wilber and 'no boundaries')

Level of Enterprises: micro, small, medium, large (national corporations), trans national corporations (TNC), UN system esp IMF and World Bank (eg Davos, Bilderberg)

Organisational Structure: Voluntary, NGOs, CSO, CBO (community based organisations), mutuals, cooperatives, trade unions, political parties, QUANGO, PPI, employers organisation – local to global

ISSUES: climate, environment, nuclear, vulnerability, facism, sexism, ageism, migration, politics and economics (right, centre, left), financial sector, race to the bottom, religions, ETC

Stakeholders: top down, middle in, bottom up – special interest groups (activists)


My long term quest has been to find better ways to be human (see below). But that is a huge topic. After I have sketched the big picture (eg ref the bighistory project) I could focus on some details. However, the devil will tempt me with simple slogans and soundbites. And I will carelessly adopt those that match items of my nurturing as a pre-mature human being in a given time and place. But forewarned is forearmed.

Noam Chomsky is one of my sources of inspiration and forewarning. He reckons that there are two sets of principles - the principles of power and privilege (roughly right wing eg politicians) and the principles of truth and justice (roughly left wing eg intellectuals). They oppose each other. Chomsky exposes the pretences of those who claim to be the bearers of truth and justice. He shows that in fact these intellectuals are the bearers of power and privilege and all the evil that attends it.

It is now clear to me that, however wide and deep, cognitive scope is not enough. The affective dimension has to be acknowledged and allowed for, especially by the global shakers and movers. But that line of thinking can be a topic for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment