Friday 24 July 2015

Productive diversions

There is anxiety. Part of my online shopping has been misdirected. I feel the need to be in the house when it eventually arrives – five litres of weedkiller and a tripod support for my Tablet.

So things are not going according to plan and thus - uncertainty – dis-ease - panic - an adrenalin rush. Unspecified dread about possible futures. An unhinged mood.

But - it is just mindbrain biochemistry. It need not command all the attention.

Therefore – diversion. “Stop the mind from wandering”.  Concentrate the mindbrain on something else. Read another chapter of the book about epigenetics. Doodle. Write this essay.

There could be a photo shoot in the garden. The photographer’s gaze is a powerful diversion.

Before the problem with my hands and voice I would sing while playing guitar or keyboard - and there were phases of writing tunes and songs. To be in a musical groove is a powerful diversion.

And there are the practical diversions of finding food, clothing and shelter; and of attending to domestic tasks in the house and low-maintenance garden. I aspire to tackle these with grace rather than with a grudge. I have no wife or kids. They presumably would be a powerful source of often unproductive diversions.

Aha – I am dosing in front of the screen and the mindbrain is wandering all over the place. ‘I’ cannot remember the details of the thoughts, feelings and moods (TFM) that occupied attention more than a few seconds ago. The mind has a mind of its own and is constantly churning out stuff for the robot on autopilot.

I wrote about this back in April/May when I gave names to thinking processes eg William the witness, Zorba the Zombie etc. The essays make the point that mind watching can be a productive diversion.

http://naesaebad.blogspot.co.uk/2015/04/head-voices.html

http://naesaebad.blogspot.co.uk/2015/04/a-writing-dialogue.html

http://naesaebad.blogspot.co.uk/2015/05/being-non-egoic.html

http://naesaebad.blogspot.co.uk/2015/05/churn-and-changing-mind.html

No comments:

Post a Comment