Friday 10 April 2015

Busy retreat

Today in the post was a replacement credit card and a council tax bill. ‘They’ are tracking me on their databases. But it is impersonal and I’ve got nothing to hide. No problem.

The Amazon database gives the impression of being personal. It uses my shopping history to predict what else I might buy. That is uncanny for books and especially for kindle titles. But the illusion is rooted in the outputs from a programmed database. But I like it. No problem.

Today on the social networks there were messages from two analogue friends. They are both seekers in their various ways. They have been known to flick through my blog. They are not from the village. We have different world views. We share them. No problem.

The individual items are not a problem but cumulatively they eat into the day. They generate busy-ness and distraction. They don’t have too. They could be graciously dealt with in a state of mindfulness. But I often forget to engage the mindbrain.

My intention is to simplify my life and live in retreat. To avoid distractions. I am getting there but it is a sair chav. It is easier said than done. Why is this?  What might Neuroscience and Evolutionary Psychology have to say about it?

No comments:

Post a Comment