Thursday 17 July 2014

Workings of the mindbrain

My mindbrain is working all the time whether I am asleep or awake. But I am aware of only a very small amount of what is going on (less than 1%?).

To be aware of something is to be conscious of it. To be conscious is to be conscious of something. In essence it is to be conscious of those workings of the mindbrain that are channelled into the ‘attention centre’ where ‘I’ can be aware of them.

Ordinary consciousness is mainly concerned with the ‘executive functions’ and is thus about quickly reacting and slowly responding to internal and external stimuli. This involves linking to related memories and making judgments (good, neutral or bad) in advance of acting.

Self consciousness is mainly focussed on a socio-cultural context and involves communication about status in the family and group hierarchy.

The unconscious refers to those workings of the mindbrain of which ‘I’ am not ‘aware’. This is possibly more than 99% of what goes on in the mindbrain. And it would appear that most of what I come to be conscious of in the attention centre is but a shadow of what has already taken place in the unconscious.

Upon reflection ‘my’ self-consciousness has to conclude that ‘my’ mind has a mind of its own. This deep mind is subject to causes and conditions rooted in my nature, nurture and serendipity.

No comments:

Post a Comment