Wednesday 27 March 2013

One or two

Each morning I receive emails of dharma snippets from respected gurus. There are dualist and monist viewpoints. My response to them is not unbiased!

The dualist believes in an authoritative outsider. The selfish self is contrasted with the selfless other. The Gods step in where parents feared to tread. Benign leaders wish me well. There is a sacred agency that cares about and protects me. Such beliefs lead to existential cop out and to reliance on myth and magic.

The monist appreciates the Oneness and the fact of InterBeing. There is blurring of boundaries between ‘things’. No beginnings or endings, only the eternal ongoing present. All being is just mind stuff. Blow away the clouds. Let the mud settle. Know the peace.

Someday the sun will go out. In the meantime the student is expected to work out his salvation with diligence.

I feel inclined to help. Is it the vocation calling? I could help make the world a better place by sorting out my own head such that I am in a better position to help others sort out theirs.

And then there might be ‘movements’ energised by changed minds. But I have no new insights to offer. There are spiritual and intellectual giants already pumping out new ideas. I could be a fellow traveller. My contribution would be in rephrasing so that more people are inclined to get on board the train.

I have slipped away from plain language. But that is OK. The first task is to understand. Once I am comfortable with the story line there will be thought about how to express it.

No comments:

Post a Comment